Wednesday, February 24, 2010

B has never been a good napper. Since day 1, naps have been a battle. I would put him down when he looked and acted tired, rubbing eyes, yawning, falling asleep sitting up, the boy would sit in his crib and scream. So I tried another tactic of putting him down BEFORE reaching this point. Maybe he was overtired and that's why he couldn't get to sleep. Wrong. The boy hates naps.

Now I really can't complain, we put him in the crib between 6:30 and 7 and we don't see him again until 7 in the morning. We have never had issues with nighttime wakings. Even when he was a little baby, he would wake up, eat, and go right back to sleep. Heck, I even had to wake him up every now and again.

This whole nap issue has really came to a head this weekend. We had just gotten back from vacation and there was really a lot of stuff that needed to be done around the house. I needed to have some time where I could accomplish things without worrying about where he was and what he was into. So, after an acceptable amount of time awake, I put him in the crib. Screamfest. I go in, calm him down, leave again. Continue screamfest. Finally after over an hour, I went and got him up. I know that he's tired, he knows that he's tired, but he just can't handle being in the crib during the day.

Honestly, I don't care what he does during his nap time, he can play in the crib all he wants, just as long as he is quiet (ish, can a 9 month old really play quietly?), but I really feel that he needs the opportunity to take at least one nap a day. I am willing to give in and allow him to take only one, but we still really need that one, even if it's only for an hour. I am truly at a loss for what to do next, everyone involved still needs naptime to occur, but I just am not sure how to make that happen.

1 comment:

  1. Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Mark Weisbluth was a lifesaver for me when my kids wouldn't nap. I don't have any experience with trying to get it to work with daycare involved, but it has some good advice either way.

    ReplyDelete