Sunday, January 24, 2010

Baby Food to Table Food...How do we get there?

So, we have a baby food maker that we have used on occasion to feed B.  I had wonderful intentions of making his food, I had the supplies, the equipment...all I lacked was the time and energy.  Well, we took B to his gym class (we had to get him out of the house so gym class can't hurt, right?).  This week we talked about feeding babies.  All the other mothers talked about making wonderful organic meals from scratch for their children.  I felt HORRIBLE.  I wanted to be one of those moms, I just couldn't get it together enough to be one. 

As a result, I came home from class determined to make B some food.  So, I blended up what we were eating.  There was ground beef, tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese.  I admit, it wasn't pretty, at all.  It looked like barf, but whatever, the kid eats all kinds of other stuff all mushed up, why not this.  My hubs warned me that this would end poorly, however, I pressed on, I was sure that B was ready.  B was not ready, after 3 bites, he barfed.  BIG TIME.  It filled the pocket on his bib.  I know it was the texture that he wasn't ready for, not the actual food.  This knowledge did not make me feel any better at the time.  Not only was I bad mom for not feeding my son wonderful organic food that was going to stimulate his brain growth, what I was feeding him was making him barf.  As my husband reminded me that he had told me so, I lost it.  I told him he could be responsible for all feeding.  I would only follow his orders from this time forward (HA!).  Needless to say, it wasn't my most sane moment.

However, after both B and I had recovered, I realized that I had no idea how to transition this kid from the jars to the table.  Am I going to have to go through multiple barfings, or is my approach wrong?  My research will be thorough because I just can't stand for J to be right anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment