Sunday, January 17, 2010

Disaster...How to survive...

Due to the earthquake in Haiti, I have been working around the clock at my job. My command is more or less responsible for providing all the ships and Navy assets to the relief efforts. We have been working 12 hour shifts since Tuesday trying to get everything and everyone moving to provide the most help that we can in this devastating situation. I am thankful that I have had the opportunity to help in this way. Several of my friends are actually flying helicopters down in country and the hubs may have to leave on the ship to provide additional support. I think it is truly awesome that our country has done so much in such as short time.

The trouble is that I can't take care of B. At all. I am at work for at least 12 hours, most times overnight, and then I come home in the morning to sleep. Then I have to get up and do it all over again. Our nanny has been a godsend, helping out where ever she can. We are also lucky that J has been able to run the house while I have been away. But this makes me worry about what we are going to do when J is gone. I really see no option but to send B down to my parents. I am so exhausted from work, I just want to sleep, but I can't do that with B. I truly feel like a terrible mother.

On a positive note, B now has two teeth! It's amazing how much he has changed by this development. He is now eating more people like food and is interested in everything. Teething wasn't really pleasant, but we survived. He also has been pulling up to standing which is exciting, but also very scary...soon he will be mobile. I think the most concerned parties are the cats who are finding that many areas are increasingly encroached upon by B!

No comments:

Post a Comment