Tuesday, January 5, 2010

12 Hour Day

I left the house at 0630 and returned at 1830 (6:30 pm) today and, boy, am I beat. This is the first time that I have had to work these kind of hours since I had B. Today was a super busy day too. I was on the watch floor, which meant there was a lot to do that had to be done in a short amount of time, for 10 hours straight. I didn't mind the pace, it made the time go by quickly and I enjoyed the challenge of it. Working on a hot task gets your heart pumping and makes work fun. The tedium of desk work really gets to me which is why I enjoy being in the Navy so much. So, while it was a long day at work, it didn't feel long until I was on my way home.

While on the ship, I would routinely be out of the house for 12 hours a day. It didn't seem so bad. Sure, I was tired, but I was able to just come home and relax to recharge my batteries for the next day. Not so anymore. I came home and was immediately met by a crying son and stressed out husband. He had made dinner (chicken nuggets and french fries) and was trying to feed the baby and dogs and cats and was worn out. So, I quickly changed out of my uniform and jumped into feeding baby duties. Then it was time for baths and kitchen clean up, so here a solid hour and a half after I got home, I am sitting down trying to unwind. Again, while I am in the throws of the moment, I don't feel so tired. It's only when I sit down to start unwinding does the exhaustion really hit me.

As my birthday quickly approaches, I have to wonder if this sudden tiredness doesn't have a little something to do with my increasing age. When I was 23, I had the energy to go out to the bars after a long day at work, now at nearly 28, I can barely get the energy to clean the dishes. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. If it is, I will have to go to bed at 7 pm when I am 35!

No comments:

Post a Comment