Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Packing 'Em In

This weekend, 15 people will be arriving in town to attend B's 1st birthday party and his baptism onboard my hubs ship (more on that in a later post). This is the first time that many of these people have visited our house. In my preparations, I have learned that 15 people is a lot of people. Granted, they aren't staying at our house (hotels became necessary when the A/C broke, no one wants to sweat it out with us), but I still have to feed and entertain everyone for 2 days. No small feat.

First, I will address feeding. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner for this group is a massive undertaking. I can get away with simple stuff for the first two meals, but dinner is a different story. It's my son's birthday dinner and people have come a long way so I can't really throw pizza down in front of them. I am buying the meat (BBQ, yum), but I still have to handle the sides. With most recipes only serving 4 or 6, there's a lot of doubling down going on in my kitchen over the next couple of days.

Second, the entertainment. These people have pretty diverse interests and range in age from 20 to 80, so there's a wide range to cover. Also, my house is a sauna. It is hotter than hell. There have been days where the house temperature is 87 degrees. Add 15 bodies in there, I am sure it is going to be pretty uncomfortable.

But, I know that I shouldn't be complaining. We are lucky that we have such wonderful family and friends that are excited to be a part of a special time in my son's life. I know that no matter what I serve and I what I do, a good time will be had by all. There's also the whole issue of cleaning that I have to (HAVE TO) get done soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment