Monday, June 7, 2010

The Great Weight Debate

So, in the Navy, you have to complete a physical fitness test every 6 months. It's not too hard, run 1.5 miles, sit ups, and push ups. I have never had issues with any of these elements in the past. However, there is another requirement that has been dreaded ever since I had B, the weigh in. You have a certain weight requirement that you must be under and, if not, you are required to me a certain body fat percentage. Which, I have to say, is measured in the least glamorous way possible for females. You measure your waist, your hips, and your neck and do a complicated math formula to find the result (it's not really that complicated, but it's still math).

Needless to say, the weight that I gained have a baby has been looming over me (really behind me) for a while. You have 6 months to lose the weight, but I have to admit that I have really, really struggled getting everything off. I have always had a challenging time losing weight. Huge amounts of exercise are needed, I can't just watch what I eat and hope the weight will go away. But, I have another problem as well. I like to eat. It's a wonderful feeling to eat tasty things. I don't mind vegetables and salads and such, but there isn't anything better than a hamburger. However, these types of items are not helpful when trying to shed that last 10 pounds.

So for the past three months, I have really, really focused on exercising and dieting. I ran 25 + miles a week and really watched what I ate and drank. And, lo and behold, when I got on the scale this morning, I had done it. Not only had I lost all the baby weight, but also some extra (which I needed to lose anyway). One less thing to worry about.

Now the real challenge will be keeping it all off. I have found that I really, really enjoy running, so hopefully by keeping that up and moderating what I eat (I can promise you there will be some celebratory hamburgers), that maybe I can lose a little bit more before #2 decides to come along.

No comments:

Post a Comment