Saturday, March 12, 2011

Survival of the Fittest (this week has proven I am not)

This week has been all about survival. The transition from one to two children has definitely been fraught with challenges. I spend a great deal of my day in a zombie like haze moving from one diaper change to the next, one feeding frenzy to another, and generally, one unmitigated disaster to another. I can totally understand the saying that you aren’t “really” a parent until you have more than one kid.

Here are just a couple of the situations that I have found myself in since coming home from the hospital. Example one, both kids are crying because they want to eat, who has top priority? Sure the baby can scream louder, but B can cause more damage if left hungry. Current solution, feed B and nurse while sitting at the table with him. Example two, both boys wake up with poopy diapers at exactly the same time, baby has a blow out, B has on occasion gone inside his diaper, who do change first? Current solution, change baby while watching B like a hawk. Example three, B NEEDS to held while baby is nursing. Current solution, hold both, one nursing on one side, the other one hearing stories on the other side.

The concerning thing is that I have help right now, in a couple of weeks, I won’t, it will just be me. I know things will get easier. T is a good sleeper and is only up at night to eat so as he gets a little bigger, I’ll get more rest. And really, that makes all the difference in the world. B’s patience is getting better, still not good, but better. Also, I’ll just get the hang of this. Every day I feel a little more comfortable being the mommy of two boys, so I know that soon, I might just be confident. And, it’s only 66 days until J comes home, so the best help will arrive then!

No comments:

Post a Comment