Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Wonderful Life (Mostly)

Having Dad home has been absolutely wonderful. I can’t say enough how glad I am to have my husband home. It honestly feels as if a giant weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I don’t think that I smiled as much in the past 9 months than I have in the two weeks since he has been home. My boys are just loving being with their Dad and there is no happier sound that hearing my son and my husband laughing and playing together. Just melts my heart.

But, even in the wonderful haze that we have been existing in, there’s still a lot of adjustment that has to occur and it hasn’t always been easy. First, the division of chores/diapers has been a sticking point. I have tried my best not to beat the “I changed every diaper for nine months, now it’s your turn” drum, but, darn it, I did and I should get a break from the poop patrol. Also, the constant bend over and pick it up dance that goes with my husband is getting a little tiresome (the man seems to just shed clothes, there was one day I picked up no less than 6 pairs of socks).

Discipline has been another sticking point. B doesn’t always see his Dad as an authority figure (although it is getting better), which drives J nuts to no end. So, he sometimes over disciplines to try and get his point across. Needless to say, B has been spending some serious time in time out lately. Presenting a united front has been challenging. Also, Dad isn’t a let the baby cry type which undoes a lot of the hard sleep training working I have been doing. So, we have had some “discussions” (read: whispered shouting matches) about child rearing.

However, in the long run, things have been great. We took an amazing trip to Disney which let us bond as a family of four (nothing like a plane flight for family togetherness) and now that we are back home, we have been meshing even more. Like, I said, I have had a permanent grin on my face and I know that won’t be going away anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment